City of Macon Recycling Program
The City of Macon Single Stream Recycling Project is a simple and environmentally friendly approach to recycling in which all recycled materials goes into the 65 gallon blue roll-off cart. The City of Macon collects single stream recycling in four areas of the city on the following schedule.
- On the first and third Thursdays of each month the Intown and Vineville neighborhoods are picked up.
- On the second and fourth Thursdays Shirley Hills and Wimbush Rd neighborhoods are picked up.
- Glass bottles
- Clean paper, mail
- Flattened cardboard
- Newspaper, magazines, catalogs
- Phone books, paperback books
- Wrapping paper (No foil or ribbons)
- Plastic bottles & jugs (No caps or lids)
- Clean plastic dairy jugs (Yogurt, margarine, etc)
- Aluminum, steel and tin-plated cans
If a recycling collection day falls on a city holiday the collection will occur on the next regularly scheduled Thursday for that neighborhood:
The rest of the city we recycle news paper only and its picked up on the same day that the solid waste is picked up each week.
Recyclable materials that can go into your 65 gallon blue recycle bin:
Items other than recyclable materials listed above will not be collected if left in your blue recycling bin i.e. (glass of any kind, food residue, plastic bags, styrofoam, plastic cups, plates or utensils, shreded paper, ceramics or dishes, light bulbs of any form, mirrors or window glass, prescription vials or syringes, sharp or greasy metal, aluminum foil or trays, containers that held toxic or hazardous materials, liquids.
Macon Iron has set up a Household Recycling Drop Off Site. For more information visit their website or call 478-743-6773.
Things to remember: Recycling saves natural resources, energy and landfill space. Your participation in any recycling program is crucial.